Dear Fatties, our office Oscar pool is in full swing and the Academy Awards are almost upon us. Here’s how to throw the perfect Oscar party. And no, you don’t have to be a film buff to pull it off.
1. Oscar pool: Ensure your guests arrive with enough time for any last minute entries. You can find great pool sheets online, like this one. Have everyone pay a nominal amount so it’s not a huge commitment, about $2-5.
2. Dress up: For the love of all things fabulous, we’re not children anymore. Dressing up shouldn’t be such a big deal. Enforce a fun dress code. You can’t very well drink champs in sweatpants, right? If you’ve got the space, set up a mock red carpet and photo wall for people to take pictures. Cue the selfie stick.
3. Drinks: Oh you fancy, huh? You’re hosting, invest in some bubbley. If champagne isn’t your thing, try some of this fizz inspired drinks. And you can play drinking games, like taking a drink every time Neil Patrick Harris sings.
4. Nomnoms: You can’t liquor people up without feeding them as well. Go easy on yourself. It’s a movie award show so popcorn is a must (note our delicious homemade recipes). If this were the year of The Help we’d say make chocolate pie. The point is if there’s an obvious theme to follow, use it. Smoked salmon, breads and charcuterie are always satisfying and relatively easy.
5. Slumber party: As always, we want you to have a hoot at your viewing party. But remember to be safe – and if that means letting people crash at your place, then so be it.
What are your most unique Oscar party ideas?