The Workout You Can Squeeze into the Middle of your Work Day
Recently inspired by some tips from body building pro and entrepreneur Theresa Roemer, CEO of Theresa Roemer, LLC, this week we’re talking about how to squeeze in a workout while you sit at your desk.
We all put in long hours at the office, juggling many things at once. How do you find the energy to get it all done, live your life and work out? Roemer recommends mini workouts throughout the day to help boost energy.
Exercise gets blood pumping and endorphins to the brain. Translation? A midday workout will literally turn your body engine over and trick your body into thinking it has had another eight hours of sleep.
Here is how to squeeze in bite size exercises right in the middle of your work day without skipping a beat.
1. Sit up straight at your desk engaging your core muscles. If your upper and lower abs are working, its like doing light crunches as opposed to sitting hunched over, which means no muscles are engaged and they are literally like Jell-O.
2. While up and straight, squeeze your glute muscles, pulsing up and down in your seat. These are mini-squats in your chair. Do three reps of ten each, you should feel the burn.
3. Alternate your glute squeeze, one side and then the next, rapid fire for two minutes straight.
4. If you have a chair with arms, lift your body up doing arm push ups and hover over the chair for 10-20 seconds before releasing. You can also pulse in place doing three reps of ten. This is great for the lateral muscles in your arms.
5. Leave your desk and go for a brisk 10 minute walk anywhere you feel comfortable. This could be up and down a set of stairs in your building or around the block. As long as the walk is brisk and your heart rate goes up, you’ve achieved the goal.
6. If you have an office or can hop in to a private conference room, just 60 seconds of jumping jacks will do wonders for your heart and brain.
7. If you have a private space, do 5-10 pushups, or hold a plank for 10-20 seconds. This will strengthen your core and improve your overall strength, while also speeding up your heart rate.
8. Stand about three feet from a wall, facing the wall, and place your hands on the wall shoulder width apart, chest high. Lean forward and do push ups off the wall, three reps of ten.
Do any one of the above or a combination of any of them each day and you will notice a difference in your attitude, performance, energy and overall strength.
Do you exercise at the office? Let us know about your favourite desk workouts.