Dear Fatties, who doesn’t love a good mac n’ cheese? We’ve got lactose intolerant friends who will suffer the consequences for some good, gooey, cheesy macaroni fun. We’re not talking about KD – we’re talking about the real stuff.
BuzzFeed published a drool worthy list of top mac & cheese recipes. We suggest you test each and every one.
In our humble opinions these are the key attributes of a solid mac n cheese experience:
1. Goo factor: the cheese needs to be melted, gooey and glorious. No matter what other cheeses you use to flavour your mac n’ cheese be sure to include some shredded mozzarella and/or provolone. It’ll melt splendidly.
2. Flavour: you’re a grown ass person so behave as such. Don’t let your mac n’ cheese be bland. From sharp cheddars to spice to downright rotten cheeses (Danish blue, anyone?) the world is your oyster. Be adventurous for goodness’ sake.
3. Macaroni: stick to what works, a short, curved noodle that’ll hold gooey cheese and have good chew. We’d suggest traditional elbow macaroni, shells or orecchiette.
4. Texture: make sure a few things are happening here. Your pasta should be a chewy al dente. Your cheese sauce should be thick enough to coat everything rather than pooling at the bottom of your giant pasta bowl. And finally, add a little crunch with a nicely seasoned bread crumb, panko crust or – dare we say – some smashed chips. Especially if you’re finishing it off with a quick bake.
5. Be fancy: add something fun to the mix. We suggest your favourite mushroom, some sauteed brussel sprouts or lobster. Go big or go home, right?
How do you do your mac n’ cheese?